Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Class Reflection

Looking back on this semester, several things stand out as pieces that I will remember and take with me into the future. I thought that our class had a great dynamic of interesting and well-spoken educators. Coming from many different teaching environments made for a rich body of diverse experiences. As an administrator I think it is important to appreciate and remain conscious of the fact that your school can learn from different kinds of schools as well as schools that are similar. Prof. Bachenheimer modeled the sorts of qualities that I think make for any effective administrator. He was prepared, knowledgeable, personable, and a good listener. He created an inclusive atmosphere of collegiality and recognized the value of each student's opinions and experiences. Our look at curriculum had both philosophical and practical values. I think that it clarified the role that curriculum plays in schools, as I had little experience in designing or assessing it. The greatest lesson that I think I will carry away with me is that an administrator must always recognize the opportunity presented by improving the curriculum, while tempering that ambition with the realities of schools and standardization. There are still wonderful things that can be done in curriculum that will still conform to standards and prepare students for tests. The challenge as an administrator seems to be to strike that balance with your teachers between what we must team and how we can teach it. Curriculum design does not occur in a vacuum. It is an exciting experience to work with other teachers to create an idea for a new change to the curriculum. By doing so, administrators and/or teachers have the opportunity to directly affect what happens in the classroom. I know that if I ever become an administrator I may feel overwhelmed and inundated with all of my responsibilities. It will be important to remember that which is most important, the learning that takes place in the classroom. Curriculum is one of the key vehicles that drives a school in whatever direction it moves.

2 comments:

Barry Bachenheimer said...

Tom,

Good sumarizing post.

As a new administrator, the hardest thing, in my opinion, is to not be just a manager. Managing is far easier and involves less risk. Being an educational leader as well as an efficient manager makes one an effective and powerful administrator.

Mike C said...

I like how you mention the need to "work with others" as a district attempts to change the curriculum. It is so important to collaborate and make everyone feel as if they are part of the process.